Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Baldie returns

Oh what a Busy and Not-So-Busy Bear I've been. I've seen so much fashion-wise but read so little about my passion over the last couple of weeks. I've felt a little out of my depth. A little over-eating here and a few too many wines there are also to blame. Life is so good!

Summer is fast-approaching and I could not be happier. Melbourne's blazing summer reminds me of Harare's heat and my city's inhabitants with shiny foreheads and enviable skin tones. I long to be home. I find myself looking at housewares thinking of my home at home. Something to call my own. Just yesterday I was in the glassware section of my favourite department store (after Selfridges) looking at wine glasses I'd only dreamed of owning. Funny how a little spending power years later changes all that.

I spent hours looking at small appliances and crockery then moved on to cutlery. With cutlery, it became a case of 32 pieces versus 56 pieces, contemporary versus classic and matte satin finish versus high shine silver-plated. The 'Made in Vietnam' and 'Made in China' issue became a non-issue but I was still struggling. Andrew, a sales assistant deserving of a medal, quickly came to my aid 'breaking everything down' brand by brand and collection by collection. I told him of my return to Zimbabwe and the importance of cookware, tableware, glassware, furnishings etc that have longevity and that are heavy-duty. As soon as I got home, I poured myself a stiff drink and toasted to my new love...housewares:)

No comments:

Post a Comment