Sunday, September 5, 2010

Dreaming of Vogue Africa

I've had the most relaxing weekend in ages. Yesterday I stayed in, chatted for nearly 5 hours to a good friend in Shanghai, read my new fashion 'Bible', Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro, cleaned my room, laundered 'my smalls' and researched summer's affordable must-haves. I recently splurged on a pair of LV pumps to complete my 1950s look so I'm super skint. Super skint with fabulous shoes...

I can't stop thinking about Vogue Africa.


I can't stop visualising its first cover, Mario Epanya's image. I can't stop dreaming of a magazine full of colour and my continent's best exports donning fabulous creations by both well-known and upcoming African designers. I yearn for a publication that celebrates black beauty and one that also addresses issues that plague women of colour. I'm desperate for a Vogue Africa that has 'honest shots' and real women (not just Jozi's Elite and Nollywood's Bleach Queens). One that is not 60% advertising and one that is not filled with unattainable products. I yearn for a magazine of real substance and on my weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) visits to Borders I find myself looking out for it as if it exists. With a heavy heart I skim through Essence and Ebony and then settle for New African and African Business. These magazines sometimes have interesting articles on the different countries' manufacturing and textile industries and their developments (or decline). For those of you in the diaspora, I urge you to subscribe to them.

This Empress is guaranteed to be thinking of Vogue Africa for the rest of the day. She's off to watch I Am Love again...

1 comment:

  1. *sigh* I could have written the exact same article ! I don't know if you were aware of it, but Vogue's CEOs said no for Mario Epanya to obtain that licence.. But I think this is only the beginning of the story..

    http://iwearafrica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete