Monday, September 20, 2010

Monroque madness

Happy people! I've got this glorious Monday off and I've got so many things to do, so many glossy magazines to get through at Borders, so many acquaintances to catch up with and then an art house film to watch. I'm tempted to cancel a coffee date with one acquaintance-slash-friend but I need some advice. I've fallen in love...

I've fallen for Shala Monroque, the super stylish Editor of Pop Magazine. I saw her on my first ever trip to New York where I spent hours aimlessly stalking the shoes at Bergdorf Goodman. I was trying to work out exactly how much money I had and what percentage of it to be spent on a pair of shoes that I could actually walk hundreds of metres in. I had waited years for this day. The day I could just try serious designer shoes and actually buy a pair. Remembering one pair and one pair only. I couldn't decide so 'cruised' a number of Fifth Avenue stores holding tightly to my bag. My Lonely Planet guide and my mum had warned me about New York's so-called hoodlums so I was on high alert. Back at Bergdorf and fast forward to seeing Shala in person....

I hadn't seen a black woman with such grace in ages. I had studied in London and seen many well-to-do and well-dressed Black Butterflies but this was the first time I saw one that:

1. did not have a weave
2. had minimal make-up
3. had natural elegance
4. looked individualistic and effortlessly chic
5. did not look like new-money

I hoped that she'd notice me rocking larger-than-life frames, vintage riding boots, Topshop tunic and a DVF coat that I had snapped up in an underground DVF sale. I hoped that she would say "Oh my. Can I please try those pumps that stylista is trying on?" and perhaps compliment me on my style. She didn't. She didn't notice me but I noticed her and years later I still remember her entire outfit.

The thing is every month or so she seems to pop up in my life. Yes in my life! Just a moment ago I logged on to style.com and there she was again. Thanks to Scott Schuman, Garance Dore and one other blogger, I can share this Black Butterfly with you.




2 comments: